Graphite Anode Materials for Lithium-ion Batteries
Pyrotek’s high-performing, low-cost synthetic graphite material for lithium-ion batteries provides high cell capacity and extended service life. Our material is competitively priced as low as USD$5 per kilogram.
Our manufacturing facility in Sanborn, New York, USA, has a production capacity of 4000 tonnes per year, scalable to more than 100,000 tonnes. Currently, we are undergoing full-cell qualification testing with leading battery manufacturers.
|Pyrotek Battery-Grade Graphite|
|Tap Density (g/cm3)||0.87||0.95||1.06|
|Surface Area (m2/g)||≤ 3.7||≤ 2.0||≤ 3.9|
|Purity||> 99.995%||> 99.995%||> 99.995%|
|Reversible Capacity (mAh/g)||350||350||365|
|First Cycle Efficiency (%)||93||93||94|
|Average Particle Size (d50, µm)||6.9||19.3||20.4|
|*Representative of natural graphite mine partner battery-grade materials|
Pyrotek graphite anode material has shown longer life compared to existing options using high-precision coulometry.
- C/20 cycling at 40°C (100°F)
- Reference artificial graphite
- From a well-known, very high-quality graphite source
- CE = 99.89%
- Pyrotek cells show higher efficiency than known high-efficiency graphites
- Higher efficiency = longer life expectancy
- CE = 99.93%
The Pyrotek Process
Pyrotek relies entirely on low-cost hydroelectric power with almost no emissions to produce its graphite anode material.
Our industry-leading thermal process is consistent throughout, and every graphite particle is exposed to the same conditions. We can maintain a thermal profile within 50°C (120°F) of the set point compared to other technologies that are within 200°C (390°F) of the set point.
Pyrotek Battery Material Development Process
Experimental anode materials are graphitized and produced in-house, considering variables such as temperature, blends, additives and modifiers, coatings, and morphology. Capabilities include:
- Thermal purification, high-temperature graphitization, and spheronization
- Full pouch and cylindrical cell assembly lines
- LOI, BET, PSD, XRD, SEM, rheology, Raman spectroscopy, cycle, and HPC testing
Pyrotek’s graphite manufacturing facility near Niagara Falls, New York, uses clean and inexpensive hydroelectric power. With over 80 locations, our global footprint has the flexibility to make products easily available throughout the world.
Manufacturing in Sanborn, New York, USA
- 60 years of high-temperature material development
- 25 years of lithium-ion battery-grade graphite production
- Proprietary furnaces designed and built to ensure consistent processing
Over 25 Years of Battery-Grade Graphite Experience
Pyrotek’s prototype laboratory enables development of anode material—from concept to testing—with a full iteration time of about a month.
- 18650 cylindrical cell fabrication
- Variety of mixing capabilities, from planetary mixers to microfluidizers
- Slot-die film coater
- High-precision coulometry
Spokane Research and Development Centre
Pyrotek experts work with battery producers to determine the best graphite anode material to suit their needs. Samples are available.