Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Cortland, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The role of the Engineering Manager is to lead, manage, and individually contribute to the local engineering team’s design of mechanical engineering solutions. Provide oversight and technical direction to the engineering team and ensure program objectives, contractual requirements and customer expectations are met.
- Oversee/manage the interaction with major customers and division leadership to review technical capabilities and project status, interfacing with cross-division and plants on common technical issues and provide solutions to our customers working with the internal team.
- Build lasting partnerships with customers through effective and regular communication, understanding and aligning with customer goals and objectives, appropriate and timely interventions, responding quickly to concerns/issues and being open, honest and transparent.
- Align engineering objectives and project plans with overall Division strategy. Develop plans for multiple project teams and determine resource allocation by reviewing technical proposals, internal and subcontract capabilities, and conferring with management. Manage the deployment of resources among teams and for engineers assigned to various programs.
- Lead the team and expert staff in interpreting complex technical requirements, managing associated risk throughout the development cycle, and completing technical studies and design reviews.
- Maintain frequent formal and informal project management and customer interface to present status and/or refine project plans; assess and make technical determinations on changes in customer requirements (e.g., design specifications; change impact on cost/schedule).
- Determine the implementation of internal product development processes (e.g., structured and electrical design process) and assess conformance, impact, and trends in development time and cost. Maintain consistent engineering practices, standards, and documentation procedures and reporting capabilities. Take appropriate steps to protect and safeguard Pyrotek intellectual property.
- Accountable for departmental budget planning and cost management with significant impact on local engineering costs that may include engineering systems and multiple facilities. With division leadership, develop long-range plans to meet both current and anticipated growth and resource challenges (e.g., workforce planning and new technical systems investments).
- Partner with customers or program management to identify opportunities for product innovation or systems solutions and lead innovation that results in breakthrough solutions. Interface with division staff and serves as a primary liaison on technical capabilities. Provide input to the technology roadmap and division business plans.
- Apply and integrate knowledge of other related engineering areas or experts to create differentiated competitive advantage.
- Assess and lead research and investment in new technologies and in creating linkage between product/system design, manufacturing, and business results.
- Develop and deliver effective presentations on complex or sensitive topics to top management, customers, and/or other key stakeholders.
Why work for Pyrotek Cortland? Check out our You Tube Video!
Click the I'm Interested button so our hiring team can review your application and schedule time to speak with you soon!
What happens next? Once you submit your application / resume, a member of the recruiting team will send you an email with a self-schedule link to speak with one of our Recruiters. Watch your email for that link!
Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering or related field, plus a minimum of five (5) years of engineering in a leadership and a minimum of 5 years in a direct design role collaborating with multiple teams on designs and projects; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience managing all phases of complex technical projects is required. Prefer candidate that has experience in the Aluminium/Foundry Industry.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization and across the globe. Genuine with high ethical standards and values, and personal integrity and honesty. Displays humility and adaptability. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations. Entrepreneurial attitude toward work center excellence.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations on complex and sensitive topics to customers, top management, and other key stakeholders. Ability to influence and communicate effectively to varied audiences to gain support or resolve issues. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs.
Strategic Change Agent. Courage to make and encourage others to make difficult decisions. Ability to foster commitment to the shared mission and vision of Pyrotek and actively lead in development/execution of strategic goals and objectives related to assigned responsibility.
Leadership Skills. Build a culture of tolerance, acceptance, and civility by setting an example to team members. Ability to coach and motivate team members in planning, strategic product management, decision-making, teamwork, and process improvement. Ability to effectively manage team projects to completion according to schedule. Ability to provide regular performance feedback and to write annual performance reviews. Ability to foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide teams toward excellence and a respectful, positive, transparent, and collaborative environment. Ability to develop team member skills and encourage growth, and to foster quality focus including improving product development processes and procedures.
Customer Service. Influential and trustworthy with proven ability to build successful and long-term partnerships with customers. Ability to effectively manage difficult or emotional customer situations, respond promptly to customer needs, solicit customer feedback to improve service, and respond to requests for new products, innovations to current products and other needs. Consistently meets commitments.
Project Management Skills. Working knowledge of principals of project management, including creation of vision and mission, establishing goals or objectives, establishing project teams, applying comprehensive root cause analysis, implementing intervention, ensuring organizational alignment, and measuring progress and success. Ability to liaise with middle and upper Pyrotek management for scope negotiation in a manner that upholds Pyrotek’s values and reflects positively on division operations.
Engineering. Comprehensive knowledge and overall understanding of multiple engineering and/or scientific fields and specialized product/system integration requirements. Ability to apply and integrate knowledge of other related engineering areas or experts to create differentiated competitive advantage. Proficient with engineering documentation and engineering analysis tools. Demonstrated knowledge and hands-on experience in the application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods. Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Ability to quickly learn about and apply technical products to various industrial manufacturing processes. Require experience in AutoCAD and prefer someone with 3D Inventor experience.
Analytical Skills. Ability to use information/data and various metrics to develop an informed and factual business case. Strong financial analytical capabilities for developing profitable product strategies. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Travel. Ability to travel up to 30% primarily domestically, occasional globally. US Passport or ability to obtain required.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by a team member to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
Must be able to sit for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
While performing the essential responsibilities of this position, team member generally will work in an office environment with occasional visits to industrial areas where Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required. Travel via land or air required up to 30%.
Pyrotek benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision after 31 days
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) with generous match
- Profit Sharing
- Supplemental Benefits
The minimum and maximum salary range for this full-time position is $132k - $165k + benefits. Relocation benefits may be available, if deemed applicable based on candidate location.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and/or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in this posted role reflect the base salary only and do not include bonus or benefits.
$132000 - $165000 / year
#engineeringmanager #leadership #manufacturing
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
California residents please take a moment to review our California Resident Applicant Data Collection Notice