Electrical Controls Engineer
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Cortland, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Cortland's Electrical Controls Engineer will Perform electrical engineering & design of integrated thermal control systems for customer applications involving molten metal processing, heating designs and transferring metal in various metal treatment industries.
- Accurately and effectively design, and develop electrical engineering solutions and designs to meet the needs of customers in the thermal and hot material transport industries.
- Provide complete design specification from the utility distribution downstream to the specification of transformers, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD), and Silicone Controlled Rectifiers (SCR).
- Design Programmable Logic Controller/Human Machine Interface (PLC/HMI) control architecture, PLC code, and HMI code.
- Develop control algorithms for both direct and distributed control of process capital equipment using both digital and analog controllers.
- Develop control schemes, Process Flow Diagrams, and P&ID logic to control furnaces other thermal capital equipment.
- Create system requirement tables to assure design compliance with customer bid documents.
- Interface with customers to develop and/or clarify documents and specifications.
- Manage electrical engineering projects to meet cost and schedule requirements.
- Calculate power requirements for capital equipment including motors, heaters, SCR’s and other electrical equipment.
- Oversee designers developing control panel, Process Flow Diagrams, cable and conduit schedules, and other parts of industrial equipment fabrication and installation documents.
Click the I'm Interested button so our hiring team can review your application and schedule time to speak with you soon!
What happens next? Once you submit your application / resume, a member of the recruiting team will send you an email with a self-schedule link to speak with one of our Recruiters. Watch your email for that link!
Education/Experience Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering required. Experience designing engineering solutions for capital equipment manufacturers.
Prior experience as a project engineer leading projects developing solutions to furnace control, hot metal industry is preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization. Progressive, flexible and team oriented.
- Communication Skills. Maintain a persuasive and credible presentation style. Ability to develop and lead effective formal presentations to both internal and external customers. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely, editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to present numerical data effectively.
- Computer/Application Skills. Proficient computer skills using a variety of software application systems. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office products, Visio, and 3-D CAD system. Ability to learn Autodesk Inventor.
- Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in the handling of proprietary and confidential information. Use of resources, analytical skills and process focus to effectively “figure it out.” Must be hands-on and maintain high energy to drive continuous improvement. Strong understanding of business implications of decisions and orientation of decisions to profitability. Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Technical Skills. Knowledge and hands on application of engineering science and technology including applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods. Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Ability to design workflows and procedures. Comprehensive understanding of designs and specifications from the utility distribution downstream to the specification of transformers, VFD's (Variable Frequency Drive), SCR's (Silicone Controlled Rectifier), etc.
- Travel. Ability to travel by land and air, both domestically and internationally up to 20%. Valid US Passport or ability to obtain.
Must be able to sit for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
While performing the essential responsibilities of this position, team member will generally work in an office environment. Will be required to go onto plant floor occasionally as needs/issues arise where Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required. Travel may be required both domestic and international.
Pyrotek benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision after 31 days
- Paid Vacation & Personal Paid Time
- 401(k) with generous match
- Profit Sharing
- Supplemental Benefits
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
California residents please take a moment to review our California Resident Applicant Data Collection Notice