Intermediate Shapes Specialist I
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Cortland, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Safely and efficiently operate CNC equipment, construct molds, cast shapes and prepare shipments of refractory products of optimal quality and on-time delivery.
Mechanical Aptitude. Understanding of spatial reasoning, cause and effect, heat conduction, velocity, gravity and force. Ability to qualify in industrial vehicle use and demonstrate continued safe operation at all times.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization. Genuine with high ethical standards and values and personal integrity and honesty. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Ability to read words and recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to read and understand documents such as work orders, policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Computer/Applications Skills. Ability to clock into and out of jobs via computer terminals, perform computerized transactions, and use barcode scanners to transact movement of inventory.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to understand and use basic mechanical skills. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts and draw valid conclusion. Ability to read and understand complex drawings and work instructions. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers. Ability to perform mathematical skills in the form of measurement and other work material calculations utilizing a calculator.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to own personal professional development and learning.
Must Haves: High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) / Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), or equivalent combination of education and life experiences.
Preference may be given to candidates who have Basic AutoCad and/or machine programming knowledge and experience. Candidate must also qualify as a Mold Specialist I and Large Shapes Specialist I. Finish carpentry skills additionally preferred for mold building requirement.
- Inspect molds for part strength and integrity, surface quality and dimensional accuracy.
- Determine and inspect required raw materials, supplies, tools and equipment needed to create refractory shapes.
- Measure amounts, temperatures, and characteristics of ingredients and mix to prescribed recipe to ensure uniformity.
- Cast refractory using casting equipment, including vibrators and mounting apparatus.
- Perform QC (Quality control) procedures, such as grinding and finishing, to ensure part(s) meet the defined Quality criteria.
- Inspect shape(s) for part strength and integrity, surface quality and dimensional accuracy.
- Prepare and package product for shipment. Verify that shipment information is correct and complete including part numbers, work order instructions, weights and dimensions, quantities, photos, sales order numbers and customer information.
- Transport goods to work site or shipping areas using material handling equipment such as cranes, pallet jacks, forklifts and dollies.
- Safely operate fork trucks, overhead crane, electric pallet jack and other industrial vehicles for which training has been completed and qualification achieved and maintained.
- Work safe; operate tools and equipment as instructed and only as intended by the manufacturer. Ensure tools and other items are safely and properly stored.
- Maintain records as needed by the department (paperwork and computer transactions).
- Maintain a clean and organized work area. Perform housekeeping tasks regularly.
- Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful.
- Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, and repetitive hand movements to position molds and adjust controls all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employees performing this job must be able to wear protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and a respirator as required.
Works in a manufacturing environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts such as overhead cranes, vibration and moving vehicles. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
California residents please take a moment to review our California Resident Applicant Data Collection Notice