Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Aurora, Ohio
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Identifies, initiates and evaluates continuous process improvement related to safety, ergonomics and quality systems. Provides leadership for process improvement projects, working collaboratively with operational teams.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization. Genuine with high ethical standards and values and personal integrity and honesty. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations. Ability to work with customers at all organizational levels.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Ability to proactively develop and drive initiatives. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs.
Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient computer skills using a variety of software applications systems and a firm grasp of technology. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products. Knowledge and use of solid modeling such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks preferred. Shop floor layout software, basic knowledge of MRP and/or Manufacturing Execution systems and database tools. MS-Visio, MS-Project or related graphical/flowchart software knowledge a plus.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Strong critical thinking skills, judgment and keen attention to detail and accuracy. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Process Engineering. Knowledge of Quality, Lean/Six Sigma, and continuous improvement and the ability to teach and train to those concepts. Ability to work safely near molten metal. Ability to capture best practices and write work instructions and flow charts. Basic knowledge of manufacturing cost systems. Knowledge of cellular manufacturing and one-piece flow. Knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering concepts.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to own personal professional development and learning.
Travel. Ability to travel up to 25% domestically and up to 10% globally. Current driver’s license and US Passport, or ability to obtain.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, B.S. in Industrial Engineering preferred, plus three (3) years in an industrial/manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of OSHA 10-hour training, ISO Auditor experience, is preferred.
- Experience with Lean or Six Sigma Green Belt/Black Belt.
- Experience or knowledge of ceramics or refractory materials, especially synthetic graphite preferred.
- Experience with machining a plus.
- Work closely with front line managers and shop floor personnel to identify continuous improvement projects to improve manufacturing costs, create capacity and grow business.
- Coordinate and lead/run Lean and Kaizen events and training for all team members with a goal of evolving toward a culture of continuous improvement through education, participation and inclusion.
- Perform evaluations of shop floor layouts to improve flow. Provide recommendations for change to management, as needed.
- Maintain continuous improvement funnel through value stream mapping, facilitating kaizen events and collaborating with and training the team.
- Actively support the sustainability of 5S efforts.
- Work closely with and support Environmental, Health and Safety and Maintenance personnel on plant projects requiring Process Engineering support.
- Improve worker safety and work environment by supporting the USA Safety and plant safety teams through training and evaluation of lifting and movements for ergonomic improvement opportunities.
- Support Quality and actively participate in plant scrap reduction by supporting the Quality Control Supervisor in ISO systems and customer complaints.
- Identify capital equipment planning and sourcing of equipment and/or automation to improve safety, process or cost by performing ROI analysis and make vs. buy analysis.
- Initiate and lead research to develop new and improved manufacturing processing in support of existing businesses and in preparation for new business.
- Facilitate and support qualification process and testing process for critical materials including graphite and support engineering. Assure the highest performance of products through supplier quality audits and scorecards for key suppliers.
- Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful at all times.
- Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills. Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
- Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
- Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
- Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
Must be able to sit, and stand for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
Works in both an office environment and manufacturing graphite machining environment with moderate background noise, and light airborne graphite dust, and exposure to extremely high temperatures near molten metal. May require Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Up to 25% domestic travel to support other USA plants, up to 10% international travel is required.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.