Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States
Open: 01 March 2019
Responsible for analyzing, implementing, testing and developing materials in the research lab. Creates designs for instruments or devices based on innovative concepts, ensuring full functionality.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical, materials, industrial or similar engineering disciplines; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with lithium-ion battery assembly and testing and/or familiarization with slurries, dispersions and coatings, micron/nanoparticle materials, a plus.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization. Genuine with high ethical standards and values and personal integrity and honesty. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs. Ability to follow instructions accurately and perform repetitive tasks carefully.
Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient computer skills using a variety of software applications systems. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products. Basic CAD experience, a plus.
Engineering. Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Knowledge and hands-on application of lithium-ion battery design, assembly, and operation, and/or familiarization of slurries and coating technologies a plus.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Strong critical thinking skills, judgment and keen attention to detail and accuracy. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to write routine reports, correspondence, and timely recording / reporting of test results.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to own personal professional development and learning.
Travel. Travel required up to 10%, domestic and global. USA Passport or ability to obtain.
1. Plan experimental laboratory production of materials having special characteristics to confirm feasibility of processes and techniques for potential users.
2. Oversee and coordinate activities involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and repair of instrumentation, tools, equipment, machines, and other laboratory systems.
3. Coordinate operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment.
4. Plan and oversee the fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and development of methods and procedures for testing products or systems.
5. Perform qualitative analyses to determine the chemical and physical properties of various materials.
6. Participate in and/or guide activities for the development of materials for specific use in projected products or devices.
7. Create new materials to meet or exceed defined requirements.
8. Plan and implement laboratory operations to develop material and fabrication procedures for new materials to fulfill cost and performance standards.
9. Review product failure data and interpret laboratory test and analysis to establish or rule out material and process causes.
10. Search sources, such as reference works, literature, documents, newspapers, statistical records, and other sources of information, to collect record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
11. Analyze and evaluate applicability of collected data.
12. Interface with suppliers and vendors to ensure appropriate delivery of laboratory tools, materials, and supplies.
13. Prepare reports and/or presentations to share and distribute findings of investigations.
14. Organize laboratory inventory and guide and coordinate supplies procurement.
15. Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful at all times.
16. Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
17. Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills. Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
18. Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
19. Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
20. Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
21. Perform other tasks as assigned.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
Must be able to sit or stand for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
Generally work in a laboratory environment where PPE is required and graphite dust and dirt is present.
Req # 1389
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.