Director of Operations
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Remote Location, United States
Open: 04 March 2019
As a member of the US management team, responsible for ensuring world-class manufacturing by leading and executing the long-range and annual operating plans for all manufacturing activities related to the Aluminum, Foundry, and Pumps operating divisions, including locations in Latin America.
Bachelor’s degree in business management, operations management or engineering, plus 15 years of experience in a global and lean manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated track record of successfully managing “job shop” plants with high mix and low volumes, managing organizational development including succession planning and developing future leaders, positively driving team engagement collaboration and teamwork.
US Passport and valid driver’s license required. Fluency in the Spanish language a plus.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization and across the globe. Genuine with high ethical standards and values, and personal integrity and honesty. Displays humility and adaptability. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations. Entrepreneurial attitude toward work center excellence.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs.
Strategic Change Agent. Courage to make and encourage others to make difficult decisions. Ability to foster commitment to the shared mission and vision of Pyrotek and actively lead in development/execution of strategic goals and objectives related to assigned responsibility.
Leadership Skills. Self-starter and forward-thinking with demonstrated history and passion for leading global teams with cultural sensitivity and awareness of the appropriate leadership style for the giving geography, building relationships up and down the value chain, alternating from executive level environments to frontline team members, customer and suppliers and leading from a continuous improvement mentality and maintain a high focus on serving internal and strategic external customers. Ability to create a culture of tolerance, acceptance and civility by setting an example to staff. Ability to coach and motivate staff in planning, strategic product management, decision-making, teamwork, and process improvement. Ability to effectively manage team projects to completion according to schedule. Ability to provide regular performance feedback and to write annual performance reviews. Ability to foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide teams toward excellence and a respectful, positive, transparent and collaborative environment. Ability to develop staff skills and encourage growth, and to foster quality focus including improving product development processes and procedures.
Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient MS Office computer skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Sharepoint.
Analytical Skills. Ability to use information/data and various metrics to develop an informed and factual business case. Strong financial analytical capabilities for developing profitable product strategies. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Core Business Skills. Strong business acumen with demonstrated ability to lead ongoing positive operational changes. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Displays willingness to make decisions and work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Strong critical thinking skills, judgment and keen attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work collaboratively within a matrix environment. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Highly organized, detail oriented and self-disciplined.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to personal professional development and life-long learning. Proactively involved with professional and community organizations that promote professional growth and/or enhance Pyrotek’s ability to meet and/or exceed goals and objectives. Demonstrated passion for developing others.
Travel. Ability to travel both domestically and globally up to 50%.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Successfully direct, develop and execute strategic plans and annual operating plans consistent with corporate short and long-term goals.
- Plan, prepare control, monitor and forecast departmental budgets and capital expenditure budgets.
- Create an organizational culture where the use of daily management and lean, 5S continuous process improvement is fully embraced as a way to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Develop and install procedures and controls to promote teamwork, communication, inter-departmental collaboration and adequate information flow within Pyrotek.
- Research, design and implement automation throughout Pyrotek’s manufacturing processes.
- Develop, implement and update monthly KPIs regionally and for each manufacturing location. Drive monthly manufacturing and supply chain operating reviews, including action plans, to ensure achievement of target objectives.
- Achieve manufacturing output by meeting company targets, such as on-time deliveries, output, quality and cost control, scrap, safety and other operational key performance indicators, including:
- Quality. Oversee quality systems and ISO certification. Select and integrate uniform quality tolls and software in all plants. Drive the understanding of process capabilities and facility discussions with strategic customers in meeting quality expectations.
- Processes. Lead ongoing positive operational changes, collaborating closely with sales, engineering and aftermarket service organizations. Create and effectively implement sustainable processes, working closely with engineering to drive down External DPPM on existing and new products. Collaborating with other members of the USA management team, design, implement and lead a Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) process.
- Environmental Health and Safety. Create and effectively implement sustainable business practices aimed at achieving zero injuries and accidents.
- Delivery. Create and effectively implement sustainable business processes that result in improved predictability and speed of product shipments. Lead supply chain team to ensure Pyrotek suppliers deliver and achieve expected on-time delivery performance at a competitive cost.
- Technology. Work with IT/IS teams to formulate a long-range plan to standardize manufacturing software such as Paperless Mfg, Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS), etc., provide manufacturing and planning with needed reporting tools and/or on-demand data and information from the ERP system and proactively utilize technology to grow and improve business.
- New Product Development. Work closely with Pyrotek R&D teams to validate and launch new products.
- Supervise, coach support, train and develop personnel in assigned area; resolve personnel issues, redirecting complex issues to management and HR in a timely manner; directly manage employees, including assigning and reviewing work, evaluating performance/compensation, resolving grievances, administering disciplinary action, interviewing employment candidates, and effectively recommending hires and terminations in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective communication of goals, objectives and expectations throughout assigned department/staff. Maintain the cooperation and support of team members company-wide through effective interdepartmental communication. Serve as a role model in areas such as professionalism, service orientation, agent of change, education, and commitment to organizational goals and objectives.
- Foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide your sales team toward excellence while acting with integrity and ethics aligned with Pyrotek core values. Create a work environment that helps foster tolerance, acceptance and civility and the ability and desire of employees to act in empowered ways. Actively reward / recognize employees to reinforce accomplishments and positive outcomes.
- Determine the effectiveness of policies, procedures and projects/plans. Take appropriate corrective measures when necessary. Identify new applications, innovations, quality and/or safety improvements and report findings/results to management. Ensure all activities and operations are performed in compliance with federal/national, state/regional and local regulations.
- As a member of the management team, promote and ensure compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
- Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful at all times.
- Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills. Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
- Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
- Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
- Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the General Manager.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
Must be able to sit for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
While performing the essential responsibilities of this position, employee generally will work in an office environment with extensive land and air travel.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.