Secondary Assembly Specialist - Cortland, New York
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Cortland, NY, New York, United States
Open: 10 June 2019
Safely operate mechanical equipment and tools to efficiently assemble units, systems and sub-assemblies to build products of optimal quality with on-time delivery.
High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) / Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), or equivalent combination of education and life experiences. Minimum one (1) year experience in one or more of the following areas preferred: manufacturing assembly, reading blueprints and schematics, working with power and hand tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Mechanical Aptitude. Understanding of spatial reasoning, cause and effect, heat conduction, velocity, gravity and force. Ability to qualify in industrial vehicle use and demonstrate continued safe operation at all times.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization. Genuine with high ethical standards and values and personal integrity and honesty. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Ability to read words and recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to read and understand documents such as work orders, policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Computer/Applications Skills. Ability to clock into and out of jobs via computer terminals, perform computerized transactions, and use barcode scanners to transact movement of inventory.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to work independently and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Ability to prioritization and manage time effectively. Ability to read and understand complex drawings and technical work instructions. Competency in mechanical math, including calculating measurements in whole numbers and fractions, determining lengths and areas, and converting US Standard measurements to/from Metric System. Able to plan project builds, with correct sequencing of steps, in accordance with engineered designs and drawings.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to own personal professional development and learning.
- Read and interpret drawings, work order data, and follow written and verbal instruction to determine parts, supplies, materials, sub-assemblies and equipment required to complete job builds.
- Verify quality and dimensional accuracy of parts and sub-assemblies. Turn back parts that are out of tolerance.
- Plan project build sequencing from start to finish according to the drawing specifications.
- Install nozzle blocks, heater tubes and other ancillary equipment.
- Build electrical assemblies; run wires, set-up, test and troubleshoot units prior to shipping.
- Fabricate (cut, bend, thread) piping.
- Plan and oversee furnace mast projects.
- Organize and layout pipelines, fittings and equipment in a cohesive piping system. Run pneumatic lines, install valves and regulators. Run hydraulic lines, install rams and pumps.
- Install crucible liners in steel shells.
- Breakdown and perform finishing work to prepare equipment for shipment.
- Perform Primary Assembly and other related work and job assignments as required.
- Perform QC (Quality Control) procedures and processes to ensure part(s) meet defined Quality criteria and tolerances.
- Safely operate fork trucks, overhead crane, electric pallet jack and other industrial vehicles for which training has been completed and qualification achieved and maintained.
- Work safe; operate tools and equipment as instructed and only as intended by the manufacturer. Ensure tools and other items are safely and properly stored.
- Maintain records as needed by the department (paperwork and computer transactions).
- Maintain a clean and organized work area. Perform housekeeping tasks regularly.
- Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful.
- Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
- Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
- Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
- Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
- Perform related work and other job assignments as required.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, and repetitive hand movements. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employees performing this job must be able to wear protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and a respirator as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts such as overhead cranes, vibration and moving vehicles. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Req. #: REF30X
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.