Managing Engineer-Noise Control Operations
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Cortland , New York, United States
Open: 30 November 2018
Responsible for the end-to-end completion of high quality proposals, quotations, and bids. Works closely with the US Acoustic and Thermal sales engineers to complete accurate cost bases and estimates, proposals and bids. Serves as the technical liaison with the R&D team, testing laboratory, and global business leaders for material sourcing approvals in the USA. Supervises, coordinates and directs noise control operations in the Cortland USA plant.
Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in an engineering or technical discipline, preferably Mechanical or Industrial Engineering preferred, plus a minimum of 5 years of related experience in a manufacturing or process-engineering role in close accord and alignment with Sales; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization and across the globe. Genuine with high ethical standards and values, and personal integrity and honesty. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations. Entrepreneurial attitude toward work center excellence.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs.
Strategic Change Agent. Courage to make and encourage others to make difficult decisions. Ability to foster commitment to the shared mission and vision of Pyrotek and actively lead in development/execution of strategic goals and objectives related to assigned responsibility.
Leadership Skills. Build a culture of tolerance, acceptance and civility by setting an example to staff. Ability to coach and motivate staff in planning, strategic product management, decision-making, teamwork, and process improvement. Ability to effectively manage team projects to completion according to schedule. Ability to provide regular performance feedback and to write annual performance reviews. Ability to foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide teams toward excellence and a respectful, positive, transparent and collaborative environment. Ability to develop staff skills and encourage growth, and to foster quality focus including improving product development processes and procedures.
Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient computer skills using a variety of software applications systems, including Microsoft Office Products, Visio, and CAD.
Analytical Skills. Ability to use information/data and various metrics to develop an informed and factual business case. Strong financial analytical capabilities for developing profitable product strategies. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Engineering Principles. Knowledge of the practical application of engineering principles and technology including applying techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods. Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Displays willingness to make decisions and work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Strong critical thinking skills, judgment and keen attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work collaboratively within a matrix environment. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Highly organized, detail oriented and self-disciplined.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to personal professional development and life-long learning. Proactively involved with professional and community organizations that promote professional growth and/or enhance Pyrotek’s ability to meet and/or exceed goals and objectives. Demonstrated passion for developing others.
1. Work collaboratively with US Sales Engineers and International Acoustic and Thermal experts to prepare and deliver timely, detailed proposals for the company's complete range of products and services.
2. Accurately interpret client's technical specifications and produce a compliant technical proposal; offering more suitable alternatives where appropriate.
3. Accurately interpret client's commercial requirements and ensure any commercial or contractual risks to the company are identified and mitigated.
4. Liaise with internal stakeholders to assist in collating accurate data for the preparation of proposals.
5. Ensure proposal pricing and estimating is in line with the company's agreed strategies on sales and marketing charge out rates and availability of engineering resources.
6. Coordinate activities with Sales Engineers to ensure proposal process meets customer expectations and are aligned with the Company's product portfolio, development, and sales goals.
7. Arrange and take a lead role in proposal review, proposal clarification, and project kick-off meetings.
8. Serve in a technical sales roles with presentations to key customers and in business development opportunities.
9. Provide after sale support for any drawings and/or solid models required for manufacturing.
10. Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and work instructions, as needed.
11. Project management when needed and appropriate.
12. Develop quality & EHS documentation/ensure compliance, as necessary.
13. Responsible for manufacturing engineering for process control, capacity, quality and safety improvements.
14. Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve manufacturing processes or products or to reduce costs, using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
15. Ensure application of continuous improvement methods, such as lean manufacturing, to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, or cost-effectiveness.
16. Supervise, coach support, train and develop personnel in assigned area; resolve personnel issues, redirecting complex issues to management and HR in a timely manner; directly manage employees, including assigning and reviewing work, evaluating performance/compensation, resolving grievances, administering disciplinary action, interviewing employment candidates, and effectively recommending hires and terminations in a timely manner.
17. Ensure effective communication of goals, objectives and expectations throughout assigned department/staff. Maintain the cooperation and support of team members company-wide through effective interdepartmental communication. Serve as a role model in areas such as professionalism, service orientation, agent of change, education, and commitment to organizational goals and objectives.
18. Foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide your sales team toward excellence while acting with integrity and ethics aligned with Pyrotek core values. Create a work environment that helps foster tolerance, acceptance and civility and the ability and desire of employees to act in empowered ways. Actively reward / recognize employees to reinforce accomplishments and positive outcomes.
19. Determine the effectiveness of policies, procedures and projects/plans. Take appropriate corrective measures when necessary. Identify new applications, innovations, quality and/or safety improvements and report findings/results to management. Ensure all activities and operations are performed in compliance with federal/national, state/regional and local regulations.
20. Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful at all times.
21. Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
22. Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills. Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
23. Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
24. Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
25. Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
26. As a member of the management team, promote and ensure compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
27. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Manager.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to sit for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing.
Generally works in a manufacturing environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts such as overhead cranes, vibration and moving vehicles.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.