Electrical Controls Designer II
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Cortland, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Electrical Controls Designer will perform the design of electrical controls systems from a process flow diagram as specified by the Electrical Controls Engineer; including process control and heating in various thermal system applications in the metal furnace, sintering and metal treatment industries using AutoCAD Electrical. Perform programming for Human Machine Interfaces and Programable Logic Controls.
- Utilize AutoCAD Electrical tools and other applicable hardware and software to effectively and efficiently design electrical controls. Ensure adherence to established department standard practices.
- Utilize Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk View to properly program AB PLC’s and HMI’s.
- As needed, travel to customer locations to courteously and effectively support installation, updates, and troubleshooting of PLC & HMI programming.
- Consult and collaborate effectively with engineers to discuss and interpret design concepts and determine requirements of detailed working drawings.
- Correctly calculate and apply the Short Circuit Current Rating (SCCR) of Control Panels.
- Based upon control panel designs, generate accurate bill of materials for design for review by the Controls Engineer.
- Determine appropriate electrical test points to verify proper system operation; troubleshooting or making adjustments as necessary. Ensuring a high level of communication regarding any changes made.
- Serve as subject matter in regard to control panels, including providing assistance to electricians in trouble shooting control panels and controls systems.
Click the I'm Interested button so our hiring team can review your application and schedule time to speak with you soon!
What happens next? Once you submit your application / resume, a member of the recruiting team will send you an email with a self-schedule link to speak with one of our Recruiters. Watch your email for that link!
Education/Experience Associates in Applied Science Engineering and Technology (AASET) from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) program plus six (6) years of experience designing controls for complex systems in the hot metal foundry industries (steel, aluminum, glass, sintered metals, heat treatment, foundry etc.) or related industry; or equivalent combination of education experience.
Experience in primary metals, foundries or other high temperature processing industries including experience programming Allen Bradley programmable logic controllers (AB PCL) and Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) preferred.
Siemens & Mitsubishi programming skills are a plus.
- Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization.
- Communication Skills. Ability to speak persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions and challenging comments. Ability to influence and negotiate for mutual benefit. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to successfully communicate in English and with people for whom English is a second language. Ability to speak French, Spanish, Japanese or Chinese is desirable.
- Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient computer skills using a variety of software applications systems, including Microsoft Office Products, Visio, and AutoCAD Electrical. Ability to learn and use Autodesk Inventor. Working knowledge of Programming of AB PLCs and HMIs in Studio 5000 and Factory Talk View.
- Engineering. Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, selecting parts and equipment for the design and production of electrical control systems. Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes. Well experienced in reading and interpreting electrical schematics and component data sheets. Knowledge of design techniques, handheld tools and meters for the electrical industry, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, bills of material and models.
- Analytical Skills. Ability to use information/data and various metrics to develop an informed and factual business case. Strong financial analytical capabilities for developing profitable product strategies. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to identify and solve practical problems while dealing with complexity and ambiguity. Ability to work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out” and develop alternative solutions. Ability to adapt to frequent changes, delays or unexpected events. Understands business implications of decisions and actions. Able to set short-term and long-term goals amidst conflicting priorities.
- Travel. Ability to travel domestically 20%.
Pyrotek offers you the following:
Generous compensation and benefits
Vacation & Personal Paid Time
General Team Member Referral Program
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
California residents please take a moment to review our California Resident Applicant Data Collection Notice