Maintenance Technician - Electrician
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Cortland, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Shift: Monday - Friday, 6:00 am - 2:30 pm
Summary: Perform routine maintenance, general troubleshooting, and repair of electrical and mechanical components, facilities, equipment, and power systems for the Pyrotek facility. This position involves troubleshooting and repair of machines, electrical and mechanical equipment, electronic controls and instrumentation and facilities. This position also installs new equipment.
Mechanical Aptitude. Understanding of spatial reasoning, cause and effect, heat conduction, velocity, gravity and force. Ability to qualify in industrial vehicle use and demonstrate continued safe operation.
Communication Skills. Ability to read and understand documents such as work orders, policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write basic notes and enter electronic requisitions. Ability to read and interpret information such as safety rules, work standards, work instructions.
Computer/Applications Skills. Ability to clock into and out of jobs via computer terminals, perform computerized transactions and use barcode scanners to transact movement of inventory.
Machine/Equipment Skills. Ability to read and comprehend facility and equipment drawings. Basic understanding of electrical, hydraulic automation troubleshooting and other systems. Knowledge of general maintenance processes and methods. Working knowledge of tools, common equipment and devices. Manual dexterity.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Ability to work independently and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Ability to prioritization and manage time effectively. Ability to read and understand complex drawings and technical work instructions. Competency in mechanical math, including calculating measurements in whole numbers and fractions, determining lengths and areas, and converting US Standard measurements to/from metric system.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to own personal professional development and learning.
Education/Experience: New York State (NYS) Journeyman Electrician or equivalent certification required. High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) / Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), or equivalent combination of education and life experiences.
Minimum three (3) years experience troubleshooting and repairing electrical systems required. Must have knowledge of both high and low voltage systems. Must have experience with electrical power distribution, instrumentation a plus. Must have PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) and furnace controls experience. VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) experience strongly desired. Combustion systems experience highly preferred. Mechanical maintenance experience a plus. Incidental welding a plus.
- Repair machines, equipment, and structures using all tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, wrenches, or equipment such as precision measuring instruments or electrical or electronic testing devices.
- Test, repair and maintain equipment using instruments such as voltmeters and ohmmeters.
- Inspect and conduct preventive maintenance on equipment to ensure compliance with OSHA and operational standards.
- Maintain tools and machinery in good condition and use tools and equipment carefully as instructed.
- Fabrication, assembly and installation of plant specific equipment or apparatus.
- Conduct tests of safety equipment (exit signs, fire extinguishers, etc.) to ensure they meet OHSA and operational standards.
- Maintain, adjust, calibrate and troubleshoot PLC’s instrumentation and combustion systems.
- Maintain accurate preventive maintenance records thru the use of computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Maintains regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills.
- Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
- Actively supports and follows the Pyrotek Safety Program.
- Keep work area clean and perform housekeeping duties as required.
- Perform related work and other job assignments as required.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employees performing this job must be able to wear protective or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and a respirator as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts such as overhead cranes, vibration and moving vehicles. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.