Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Sanborn, New York
This position is within the Mining And Metals Industry
Who is Pyrotek? Pyrotek is the most successful global industrial company you’ve never heard of (until now). Pyrotek is a global leader in high temperature materials and our products impact virtually everyone in the developed world. Our global team has worked for decades to deliver new technologies, advanced engineered systems and innovative materials to customers in industries all over the world. The last car, train and plane you rode in were all safer and more energy efficient because of Pyrotek. The beverage cans in your refrigerator are lighter, stronger and infinitely recyclable because of Pyrotek. Join our team and create, improve and innovate the everyday!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for managing the Pyrotek Sanborn Environmental, Health and Safety program. Provides environmental, health and safety support to the operations and maintains all applicable permits and required reports. Ensures that all practices are in compliance with Pyrotek standards/policies, as well as all federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.
Core People Skills. Ability to positively interact and work collaboratively with a diverse group of people at all levels of the organization and across the globe. Genuine with high ethical standards and values, and personal integrity and honesty. Displays humility and adaptability. Ability to apply a large measure of common sense to a variety of situations. Entrepreneurial attitude toward work center excellence.
Communication Skills. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listen and obtain clarification, and respond well to questions. Proficiency in writing clearly and concisely and editing work for spelling and grammar. Ability to vary writing style to meet business needs.
Change Agent/Strategic. Courage to make, and influence others to make, difficult decisions. Able to foster commitment to the shared mission and vision of Pyrotek. Ability to actively participate with management in developing and managing strategic goals and objectives. Demonstrated ability to solicit and manage the development of innovative approaches to current and emerging business challenges, while taking into account strategic implications.
Leadership Skills. Build a culture of tolerance, acceptance and civility by setting an example to staff. Ability to coach and motivate staff in decision-making, teamwork, and process improvement. Ability to foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide teams toward excellence and a respectful, positive, transparent and collaborative environment. Ability to encourage team members toward a quality focus that includes improving processes and procedures.
Computer/Applications Skills. Proficient MS Office computer skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Sharepoint.
Analytical Skills. Ability to use information/data and various metrics to develop an informed and factual business case. Strong financial analytical capabilities for developing profitable product strategies. Ability to define problems, collect objective data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Core Business Skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling of proprietary and confidential information. Displays willingness to make decisions and work independently, without significant direction and to use resources effectively to “figure it out”. Strong critical thinking skills, judgment and keen attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work collaboratively within a matrix environment. Exceptional prioritization, time management and organizational skills. Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Highly organized, detail oriented and self-disciplined.
Safety/Environmental. High degree of knowledge of OSHA, state and local safety and environmental regulations. Ability to negotiate and influence for a positive and effective safety and environmental program. Ability to build strong, effective relationships and interact with governmental agencies, testing facilities and equipment/service providers in order to ensure optimum program outcomes. Knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to effectively use environmental/health/safety testing equipment, such as noise meters, industrial hygiene test equipment, knowledge of industrial hygiene test parameters, confined space test equipment and various additional test equipment, as needed.
Professional Investment. Demonstrated commitment to personal professional development and life-long learning. Proactively involved with professional and community organizations that promote professional growth and/or enhance Pyrotek’s ability to meet and/or exceed goals and objectives. Demonstrated passion for developing others.
Travel. Ability to travel by land and air both domestically and globally up to 10%.
Bachelor’s degree in occupational health, safety, or a related scientific field, such as biology, chemistry, science or engineering, plus 5 years’ experience in the Environmental, Health and Safety field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior management experience is preferred.
Experience in drafting various permits at the Federal, State, and Local levels preferred.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Develop, implement and evaluate the Pyrotek Sanborn safety, health and environmental policies and procedures.
2. Maintain compliance with all environmental, health and safety policies, laws and regulations required by Pyrotek, federal, state and local agencies.
3. Perform ongoing inspections and evaluation of the work environment, equipment and processes to ensure compliance with government safety and environmental regulations and industry standards, and to minimize or eliminate hazards from processes, such as incorrect working methods and materials. Identify potentially hazardous materials, collecting samples of them for analysis and coordinating disposal.
4. Set the example by practicing safe working techniques and following all safety, health and environmental program policies, procedures. Consistently re-enforce the safety policies, guidelines, and procedures as set out by Pyrotek.
5. Review accidents/incidents and investigate their root cause, providing corrective actions as necessary.
6. Deliver timely and effective safety, health and environmental training to all team members.
7. Ensure appropriate and timely hygiene testing is performed.
8. Maintain compliance with all environmental, health, and safety policies/procedures, laws and regulations required by Pyrotek, Federal, State and Local agencies.
9. Ensure all inspections by regulatory agencies are coordinated, the agency audit reports reviewed and analyzed for deficiencies, recommended remedial actions are taken and any required official responses are written, reviewed by management and submitted within the required timeframe.
10. Ensure that contractor personnel working on Pyrotek property are in compliance with Pyrotek’s policies and safety requirements.
11. Maintain the cooperation and support of team members company-wide through effective interdepartmental communication. Serve as a role model in areas such as professionalism, service orientation, agent of change, education, and commitment to organizational goals and objectives.
12. Foster attitudes, conditions and environments that guide team members toward excellence while acting with integrity and ethics aligned with Pyrotek core values. Create a work environment that helps foster tolerance, acceptance and civility and the ability and desire of employees to act in empowered ways. Actively reward / recognize employees to reinforce accomplishments and positive outcomes.
13. Determine the effectiveness of policies, procedures and projects/plans. Take appropriate corrective measures when necessary. Identify new applications, innovations, quality and/or safety improvements and report findings/results to management. Ensure all activities and operations are performed in compliance with federal/national, state/regional and local regulations.
14. Promote positive employee and customer relations by supporting Pyrotek’s commitment to a working environment of tolerance, acceptance and civility. Respond appropriately to inquiries, concerns and complaints by being professional, courteous and respectful at all times.
15. Maintain regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance, as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
16. Actively and positively participate in problem resolution, demonstrating constructive communication, timely response and effective resolution skills. Work effectively within team environments both within your department and across the organization.
17. Cooperate and comply fully with all Pyrotek policies and procedures. Actively support and follow the Pyrotek Safety Program.
18. Participate in company/department meetings, training activities, continuing education programs and other associated activities.
19. Consistently promote and communicate Pyrotek’s core values through work performance and excellent customer service.
20. As a member of the management team, promote and ensure compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
21. Perform other tasks as assigned by the Operations Manager.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation, if feasible, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of position.
Must be able to sit for long periods-of-time, bend and reach, use stairs, lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and communicate effectively in English by telephone, in person and in writing. Effectively use a personal computer, office equipment and telephone.
While performing the essential responsibilities of this position, employee will work in both an office and manufacturing environment. While in manufacturing areas, the employee may also be exposed to moderate background noise, moderate amounts of airborne graphite dust, presence of natural and artificial light, exposure to work temperatures from ambient to controlled, hard surfaces for standing and walking. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required. Domestic and global travel by land and air up to 10%.
Pyrotek is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
California residents please take a moment to review our California Resident Applicant Data Collection Notice